Totally Tubular Super Bowl Snacks
Have you seen the Ferris Bueller Super Bowl commercial yet? It’s only on everyone’s Facebook page like they’re the first to discover it…but if you haven’t, go ahead and take a look here.
Well? Whaddya think? Pretty choice, huh? I heard Jerry Seinfeld is also doing a Super Bowl commercial with the Soup Nazi. And Madonna’s performing at halftime. Do we see a theme here? Either the 80s are experiencing a major revival vis-a-vis the NFL or the fine people in the advertising biz haven’t been able to come up with anything creative since.
Oh, while we’re on the subject, can we talk about Madonna for a minute? It is just me or does she seem really bitter these days? I mean just because Lady Gaga has a better voice and has totally stolen her thunder as the “IT POP DIVA” of the decade, doesn’t mean she should throw a tantrum, right? Yeah, so what if Born This Way sounds
a lot like identical to Express Yourself (we actually did a little experiment at last week’s Karaoke night where one person sang Born This Way and I sang Express Yourself right on top of it…same beat…totally worked…man, that was cool!) but so what? Whatever happened to aging gracefully? Ending on a high note? Leaving while you’re still on top? Well good luck at the halftime show, Madge. I’m sure it’ll be memorable, if nothing else.
I love the 80s. It wasn’t the most stylish decade for me personally but it’s when I was younger and cooler. When Patrick Dempsey wasn’t Dr. McDreamy. When Demi Moore wasn’t doing whippets (maybe she thinks she’s back in the 80s?). When Heather Locklear looked…exactly like she does now. When Lindsay Lohan wasn’t high. Or stealing. When Winona Ryder was. When the Olsen twins were super cute. And not goth. When Michael J. Fox was skateboarding and drinking Tabs. When Saved By the Bell seemed SO MUCH MORE TOLERABLE than Ant Farm or Fish Hooks or Victorious or the worst yet, Jessie. When I had more tolerance. Whatever.
Like I said, I love the 80s. And clearly so does the Super Bowl. So, since I still have no idea who’s actually in the game and since to me, the Super Bowl is all about the food, here are a few super easy recipes that had their heyday in the 80s. But in my opinion, they’d still taste pretty rad now, too.
Velveeta Cheese Dip
- Hunk of Velveeta
- Jar of Salsa
Wait for it…
- Pour salsa on top of Velveeta in microwave safe bowl.
- Nuke (such an 80s term, right?) for like (also an 80s term) 1 minute.
- You may have to nuke several times after it sits out.
- Serve with tortilla chips (duh!).
*These weren’t coined in the 80s but I’m sure people ate them in the 80s so I’m putting them here anyway.
- Box of large mushrooms
- few diced celery stalks
- few diced carrots
- ½ diced onion
- bread crumbs (appx 1/2 cup)
- pinch or two of Kosher salt
- Parmesan cheese (appx ¼ cup)
- olive oil
- several pinches oregano
- several pinches basil
- Pull stems off mushrooms and save caps for later.
- Dice vegetables with mushroom stems.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and kosher salt.
- Broil for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Remove veggies from broiler and mix with bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and spices.
- Fill each mushroom and place on baking sheet (which should still have oil on it from veggies)
- Drizzle more olive oil over stuffed mushroom tops and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_field() in /home/content/p3pnexwpnas03_data03/44/3101444/html/wp-content/themes/mykitchenchaos/inc/recipecard.php on line 1