Crap, My Kid has a Spelling Test Tomorrow Noodle Thing
So the way I see it, you have two choices:
*Spelling Test Study Tip*
If you have spinach in your freezer you will be having a spinach noodle thing.
If you have mushrooms in your fridge you will be having a mushroom noodle thing.
If you have ground turkey (or chicken) in your fridge you will be having a turkey noodle thing. (see where I’m going with this?) Feel free to combine any of the above ingredients for a combo noodle thing or delete any if you are Kosher or vegetarian.
- 1 box noodles (any size or shape – this is basically lasagna without the layering)
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- Red wine that you’re already drinking
- 1 package ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Garlic powder
- 1 package shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parsley flakes
- Cook pasta according to box. While pasta is cooking, have student write each spelling word three times on a piece of paper. If using ground meat, sauté until no longer pink in a separate pan with an ice cube (great fat reducing tip!). If using mushrooms, sauté until soft. If using frozen spinach, rinse in colander and squeeze until dry. You can also sauté the spinach. Throw a little salt into the mixture while cooking.
- Drain pasta.
- Give kid small bowl of plain noodles to eat while studying words along with a plastic knife. Have kid chop pasta into pieces by syllable. Wrench (no chops) Sen-tence (one chop). Diff-er-ent (three chops) Games always make studying easier.
- Pour remaining pasta into a bowl. Mix ricotta cheese with egg. Pour ricotta and egg mixture into pasta.
- Pour jar of sauce into mixture and add a drop or two of the red wine from your glass. Add meat and/or vegetables to mixture. *note, if you are using the spinach, make sure you mix it thoroughly with the ricotta cheese first so it gets out the clumps.Sprinkle a little garlic powder into the mixture.
- When student annoys you during preparation, use spelling words to show her how she is annoying you. “Talia, please use a DIFFERENT tone of voice with me when you are asking me for Halloween candy the minute you walk in the door.” “Ryan, the fact that you peed on the couch really puts a WRENCH in our evening plans.”
- Pour mixture into baking dish.Top with shredded cheese. Remind student that she is still supposed to be studying when you find her rummaging through the pantry. “Talia, do I have to repeat my SENTENCE twice? You are not allowed to have three boxes of Nerds.”
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until cheese bubbles. No need to preheat. Who remembers to do that anyway?